Sunday, October 14, 2012

Dexter - "Sunshine and Frosty Swirl" Review

"There's just one last person I need to kill..."


Dexter's rebirthing of a season continued admirably this week, as we dealt with the aftermath of Deb's game-changing discovery.

And Deb's reaction was fittingly realistic, as Jennifer Carpenter shifted effortlessly between intense shock, uncontrollable grief, and subdued resolve.  I can only imagine the realization of such a thing.  An entire life of lies flooding through at once.  It's usually impossible for the brain to adequately process such trauma so quickly, and the way Deborah acted portrayed that confusing desperation perfectly.


The only thing I thought was missing from the opening scene was Dexter's admission that he killed Trinity.  You would think that would be something to tell the girl to ease the transition, however futile it may be.  There's a serious chance she's going to arrest you.

Laguerta's blood slide investigation gets more interesting by the minute, and has that typical Dexter feel of restless suspense beginning to brew.  I have a feeling that this is the beginning of his ultimate undoing.


The secondary investigation involving the strip club was all well and good, but it just doesn't seem all that threatening to me.  The connection to Dexter is ancillary, at best, and the bad guys don't seem that... bad yet.  I know there's supposed to be some sort of confrontation next week, since Showtime has no self control in its previews, but I'm not yet feeling the fear in that respect.  

I really hate Louis, and I imagine I'm not alone, so the idea of having to keep him around is not a happy one.  But hey, to make an omelet, I guess you have to keep some bad eggs.

The best part of this episode was Deborah questioning the very motive of Harry, and the very character of Dexter itself.  We've been trained as viewers, to believe that Dexter is an irredeemable psychopath, a modern day Patrick Bateman.  Someone completely divorced from humanity and the human condition. Though that idea persists, the writers have consistently given glimmers of hope to Dexter, as evidenced in his love for his family, his respect for the "code", and his need to protect Deborah.  The simple question that Deb raises is a vital one.  Why can't he change?


I assume there will be many speed bumps along the road, but I imagine Dexter will feel he's finally reached that magical point, right when Laguerta realizes he's the Bay Harbor Butcher.
The whole Frosty Swirl bits were a little on-the-nose for my taste, but it was all well written and effective all the same.

Overall, a solid follow-up to a great premiere. 


75% = *** = "Good"


-VMA

No comments:

Post a Comment