Friday, October 26, 2012

Dexter - "Buck The System" Review

"It is a capital offense to be who you are."


I find myself having great difficulty finding anything of value to say regarding Dexter so far this season.

The premiere was as good of an episode as I could have hoped for a series that really needed a fresh start.  Since then it's just kind of been inoffensively moving along, with not much of note to really mention.  It's going exactly where I imagine a season of Dexter to go.  "Buck the System" was a perfect representation of this "not bad, not great" pace the show's at right now.

So, lets sum this up in a few bullet points.


  • Thank god.  Louis is gone.  I couldn't fucking stand that guy.  I don't know if that was supposed to make Issak look more menacing, but it didn't work.  He's like a messiah to me after that.
  • I very much enjoyed Speltzer's roided up Minotaur in the labyrinth thing.  He's quite the serviceable interim villain.
  • The scenes with Dexter and Deb continue to be top notch, and it will be very interesting to see how Dexter's rationale for killing comes across to a "normal" character.  The bar scene was a particular highlight for me. 
  • I was really expecting more Yvonne Strahovski.  I love me some Yvonne Strahovski.
  • Speaking of that, am I the only one who thought that Dexter fumbling his cotton swab like an intimidated schoolboy seemed oddly out of character?  Dexter never struck me as the type to go googley for your standard blond with a checkered past, least of all on sight.
  • The conversation between Issak and Dexter seemed a bit hokey and ham-fisted to me, a clear attempt at high minded philosophizing between opposing forces before they realize they're the opposition to highlight how "similar" they really are.  Very been there, done that.
  • I've said it before, but Laguerta coming back into her own as a character really bares repeating.
So... that's kinda all I have to say.  Another solid episode, and I'm excited to see if this show will enter the moral ambiguity territory that Dexter and Deb seem to be dancing around.


76% = *** = "Good"


-VMA

No comments:

Post a Comment